Archive

Archive for January, 2011

More menu work, this time really done

January 31st, 2011 No comments

Yeah, I kinda mentioned I finished work on the menus last time but I wasn’t completely satisfied with the graphics options. Now however, they are asĀ customizableĀ as possible, so if you don’t like the noise, depth of field or sun shafts, you can turn them off individually instead of all at once. As for more common settings you find in most other games such as ‘vsync’ and anisotropic filtering will have to be ignored as unfortunately Unity doesn’t (currently?) support adjusting these features without changing entire quality profiles, where I only have a few of.

There’s still an issue where texture size enforcement seems to affect the menu as well. I can probably solve this by either increasing the minimum texture size or by excluding the feature on menus somehow. Fortunately the graphics menu does more than just appear for show, with a significant 5x performance increase. I assume 534FPS equates to something playable on more outdated hardware.

Menu done?

January 30th, 2011 No comments

Settings are saved within a 'settings.cfg' file.

It seems to me that I’ve managed to finish work on the menu entirely, with the two remaining Controls and Sound menus now finished as well. Settings are handled by the options screen and are transmitted to their individual sub-screens. These settings are then saved and loaded depending on whether or not there are any changes. Right now the game automatically generates a ‘settings.cfg’ file if it doesn’t already exist, although a corrupt settings.cfg file can lead to some issues. Save me some work and just don’t mess with it.

A very simple yet useful sound adjustment menu.

Now that I’ve wrapped up everything around the core game, it seems that missions and polishing units is my main priority now, with multiplayer coming somewhere behind that. Here’s a list of what’s left to do:

  • Fixing up some of the boats and planes – Not sure how long this will take
  • Creating the 69 missions – Will take a fair while
  • Generating score for destroying a unit – Won’t take long
  • The ability to die – Shouldn’t take long
  • The ability to lose (failed mission objectives) – Shouldn’t take long
  • The ability to win – Shouldn’t take long
  • Tutorial system – Shouldn’t take long
  • Map screen – Not sure, shouldn’t take too long
  • Multiplayer – Really not sure, might take a while
  • Finding a better way to save scores and mission progress than a simple text file – Shouldn’t take long
  • Graphical enhancements – Not sure, I won’t allocate too much time to it
  • Performance optimization – Shouldn’t take long, mostly done anyway

More Options

January 29th, 2011 No comments

As I mentioned before, the menu is one of my main priorities right now, and in the last two days I’ve gotten quite a lot of progress done on it. The mission list works, scores are listed, profiles work, demo restrictions and now there’s another options menu. I plan to have four: General, Graphics, Audio and Controls. Right now the first two I listed are done.

It turns out, sliders are very easy to make with the help of the Unity engine, so that pretty much means the audio screen shouldn’t take very long either. As for controls, I’m not sure how I’ll go about creating that screen yet but I’ll figure it out.

You may notice in the screenshot above, there’s a toggle for ‘Tutorials’. Although the original game did not feature something like that, relying only on its web-based help files, I plan to include a non-intrusive help system that allows the player to get started very quickly and will fit in very smoothly with the original game’s interface theme.

Polishing Begins

January 29th, 2011 No comments

Early demo capability.

Although the original game’s demo did feature multiplayer, I think I’m going to leave it out, at least if I plan on releasing a demo before full release. One of those more common ‘in development’ demos, but beyond beta stage obviously.

I don’t think I’ll be posting daily with the work I’m doing on the game now, as I don’t have the original game to guide me unit by unit anymore. I’m making tweaks and right now one of my points of focus is the main menu.

Here’s a summary of what I did:

  • Demo capability.
  • Scoring system (minus gaining points for destroying units)
  • Mission list now has multiple pages.
  • Changed profile system.
  • Reworked bullet speed to be more like the original.
  • Fixed several boats that were incorrectly positioning themselves upon destruction.
  • FPS counter in graphics menu.

I’m getting very close to creating the actual missions now, and I believe that the first five missions or so should be done within a week. This has potential for a demo, assuming I polish up absolutely everything around and in these five missions.

H Class – Done!

January 28th, 2011 No comments

Aside from a few see-through bits and pieces it looks fine!

With these pictures, the end of the development of the enemy units is pretty much official. Although some boats and planes require some tweaks here and there, they all work and they do (mostly) what they’re supposed to be doing. As for what I’ll post next, I’m not sure yet. I do know I’ll be doing some tweaking first before I move on.

Wallpaper Sized + Colour Correction

Wallpaper sized + Colour Correction